Saturday, July 14, 2012

THINKING ABOUT FRIENDS!!!

On Thursday of this week, I found out that my friend's, Debby Smith, brother, Corey, was going to be in Davenport with Drum Corps International competing.  Corey, for several years, competed with a drum corps and later, when he was older and not competing anymore, was hired to help with the actual training of a corps. 

For the past three years, he has been working with a new corps out of Nashville called "Music City".  Since they were going to be practically in my backyard, I decided to go and watch.  
I can remember when Corey was actually competing, going with his mother, Ann, and cheering him on. Ann loved watching and supporting her oldest son.  She would sit and cheer, and yell, and sometimes cry as she listened to the music and watched the intricate marching being performed by the group.  On Thursday I was transported back to those days and sitting with Ann.  As the music of Phantom of the Opera began, I felt Ann beside me and I, too, got a little teary-eyed as I watched the group in the first picture performing at one of their very first competitions. 
The second picture is one of the group called the Colt Cadets out of Dubuque, Iowa.  A very popular group, but what I loved was when the characters in the solid outfits came out to perform with the corps.  They were delightful to watch.  I did not stay to the end so I don't know which group ended up winning.

The next day I drove up to Decorah, Iowa where my friends, Cathy and Ted, have purchased this beautiful piece of property.  Even though it is in the city, it feels like it's in the country.  There are houses on each side, but you'd never know it.
The picture with the camper shows a brick wall where the house originally stood.  This is most likely where Cathy and Ted will build their new home when they finally move up there.  Perhaps where their camper is parked will be the place for me to park my camper when I come to visit. 

Just a few blocks from this parcel of land is a sprawling campus for Luther College.  As I drove around the campus I was impressed with its' size and the beauty of the campus.  Luther College is a liberal arts college founded by the evangelical Lutheran Church hosting 2600 students.  The wonderful thing about Decorah is that it's only about 3.5 hours from my sister, Sherri, in Walcott, Iowa.  Perhaps I will be staying in Decorah sometime, hmmmmm???!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment