Sunday, March 6, 2011

VOLCANOS AND POTTERY




The story continues. . .

While we were talking to Paul, one of the lodgers at the Blue Dolphin, where we were staying, gave us the name of a tour guide, Ramon Parra with No Rush Tours. It so happens, this is the same name Coley got from a friend in Coco, so as fate would have it, we called him. Here he is as we arrive at the Masaya Volcano Museum. Nicaragua has 25 volcanoes, 7 of which are active.





Here is the hole with steam and the smell of sulphur rising out of the ground. As the story is told, the local tribes used to offer up virgins and children to appease the Gods and to hopefully keep the volcano from erupting. Sometime in the 1800's Father Francisco erected a cross high up on the hill to appease the Gods and to stop the practice of sacrificing people.







This is a replica of the original cross. In order to get up to the top, one has to climb approximately 170 steps to the top.






















Here's Coley, having no trouble at all making it to the top. Gleefully she waves at me as I huff and puff my way up. At first I thought I could only make it to the first level and already I was out of breath. I sent Mike and Freckles ahead and told them I would take my time.

















YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I made it, my tongue hanging out, but I made it. The active part of the volcano is to my right and to the left is a huge crater. Sort of reminded me of the Grand Canyon.










We left Masaya Volcano and drove to a place called Catarina and a lake called Crater Lake, made by one of the active volcanoes in the area. Here's Coley sitting with the lake in the background. You can see by the way her hair is blowing, it's very windy up there. After climbing 170 steps, the wind nearly knocked me over. I thought about Jenny at both of these locations and how challenging it would have been for her.





Then we drove into the village where Ramon took us to the local potter, Valentin Lopez. Mr. Lopez began to tell us the story of how his ancestors started the practice of collecting the clay for the pots. Once it was brought back, the clay was danced on top of which is what Valentin's nephew is showing us. Then a portion of clay is taken to the wheel where by foot, the wheel is turned and the clay is worked into the shape being created.















As you can see, the nephew is really good. This whole pot took about 5 minutes to create. Then once the clay is dried, they use a seed pod to polish the clay after which the designs are drawn onto the pot. Again, the seed pod is used to shine the clay and after that the color is painted on, and once more a shine is added. I've never seen anything like it, and I've made pottery before at the wheel. We didn't go through any of those processes. After all this is done, the pot is taken to the kiln where it is fired for up to 6 hours. Mr. Lopez has been doing pottery for 35 years, but he is the 6th generation of potters in his famil. His store had hundreds of pieces, with some amazing prices. Of course I bought a beautiful red, white and black designed piece, but I won't be bringing it back to the States with me. It was bought specifically to stay in Costa Rica.
We left Catarina and headed back to Grenada. Coley and I took alot of pictures of buildings and churches, but I wanted to put this cross in. It's called the 20th Century Cross. It is just beside a large cathedral and was builty to commemorate the turn of the 20th century. Nicaragua is 80% Catholic, and there are many churches, some in ruins, and many crosses to be seen. This was one of my favorites, due to its' size.
So, there you have it, our tour of Granada, Nicaragua. We had such a good time and headed back to the guest house to enjoy the pool, drinks and games. We all wanted to stay longer, but unfortunately duty called us back.
Hasta luego!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment