Monday, November 28, 2011

ANOTHER ADVENTURE!!!

We left our hotel on Sunday morning headed for the Royal Gorge in Colorado. Of course, one of the reasons we stayed in Colorado Springs was so we'd have a much easier day on Sunday. NOT!!!!
Here's Coley with the Royal Gorge bridge in the background. The gorge is 1178 feet deep and 1000 feet across. At the very bottom of the gorge the Arkansas River flows through.
With the entry fee, we were able to ride the tram across the gorge which was really thrilling. Shelia, I could hear you in my mind going "OK, Corky, you're going to have to help me through this, look how far down it is!!!!!" The guy running the tram said someone had recently jumped off the bridge. It takes about 8 seconds to hit bottom---- what a longggggggg 8 seconds that would be, something like bull riding where it takes 8 seconds in order to have a qualifying ride, a very longggggg 8 seconds.

This picture gives you a little idea of the depth of the gorge. The river is pictured, but just to the left of the river is the train track. They have a train that takes you through the gorge and can be accessed at Canyon City. The train is $12.00 and access to the Royal Gorge is $25.00 per person in the high season, and in the off season, buy one and get the other ticket half off. Coley and I were also able to get the "senior" discount. Feels funny still to ask for the senior discount, on dinners, movies, attractions, etc., but I'm getting better at it.
I will say, however, there are times when I ask for a senior price and the clerk looks at me in wonder and says "Really?" No brag, just fact.


After we left the gorge, we headed for Albuquerque on the 285 highway. It was a much more beautiful ride coming through the mountains, but it took us much longer than if we had returned to I-25. But here's a picture of "Camel Rock" Coley took with my "fisheye" feature. I thought it turned out so cool looking.
Calleen, Coley's friend who lives in Paradise Hills (our old neighborhood we grew up in) was making dinner for us and had invited Kitty and Chuck, also friends of Coley's. Dinner was scheduled for 6pm and Coley and I pulled up, right behind Chuck and Kitty, at exactly 6pm. Great timing, but Coley and I thought we would be there long before we actually arrived.
We had a terrific meal of beef and chicken enchiladas, with Spanish rice and chili rellenos. Kitty made homemade quacamole with chips. Exactly the kind of meal I was hungry for. We had a delightful evening socializing and Calleen's home is so beautiful. I'll try to put pictures up of her home on the next post.
Hasta luego!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment