Thursday, August 23, 2012

THE HIGH DESERT!!!

Loved my time in New Mexico, but all good things must come to an end.  I wonder who said that? Headed out this morning for Arizona.  One of the best parts of traveling I-40 across New Mexico into Arizona, is the mile after mile of wide open spaces.  It's been quite a long time since I've been to Arizona and as soon as I left the Albuquerque city limits, I was struck by the beauty and splendor of this part of the country. 

I loved this picture of the rock formation.  When I came upon it, my first thought was it looks like a cathedral.  Then when I began to drive past, it looked more like a castle.  Whatever it looks like to you, it reminds me of growing up on the mesa and all the great rocks I used to find.  I, like most kids, loved looking for rocks and bringing them back home.  I still look for rocks, only now I look for heart rocks.


 This was such a great picture.  I had just arrived at the Painted Rock Rest Center and this sign was just beyond where the rest stop is.  Welcome to Arizona!!!

My drive took me about 6 hours to complete.  I had alot of time to ruminate, which is what I do best when I'm driving.  Today was my prayer call with my friend, Cathy, and what she and I both came to realize, as we drew the call to a close, is that we both are seeking other ways to serve the greater good now that we are both retired and in a new phase of our lives.  The word for today is "surrender".  I'm asking for greater clarity, a "light bulb" experience, if you will, as to what to do and how to make it happen.  The challenge is to surrender the idea that I have any control, or that I have to push to make something happen.  Being in the flow really is about letting go and letting God.
So, as I let go of following my GPS system and made my own way to Tempe, I traveled down Highway 87 from Winslow, Arizona south.  What I didn't know was that it would take me through the Coconino National Forest at an elevation of about 7800 feet and down into the Tonto National Forest.  The drive was incredible.  Lush forests filled with tall, stately pines was unlike any other landscape I'd ever experienced in Arizona. Traveling down the mountain, I found myself nearly alone.  For nearly 50 miles not one single car passed me or came up behind me.  I felt like I'd landed on another planet.  But the view was so spectacular and not having to deal with traffic allowed me to pull over many times to take pictures.  I had a marvelous time on this part of the drive.  
This picture was taken just outside of Tempe, Arizona.  As soon as I saw it, I thought of a native American.  Although when you drive past the rock formation, it has no resemblance to anything other than a big rock.  I also love the saguaro cacti in the foreground.  This is the landscape I am most familiar with.  I've traveled through this area, in and around Phoenix several times.  It's like stepping back through time, back to the old West.  Arizona is celebrating its' centennial year, 1912 to 2012. 

Hope you enjoy traveling with me through this part of the country.  As I told a couple of my friends on this journey, the only way this trip could have been better would be to share it with someone.  So, thanks for letting me share!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment