Thursday, September 8, 2011

A DAY IN MAINE!!!

Today started off with rain and colder temperatures. When I got up, the temperature outside was 51 degrees. With the rain it felt even chillier. As you can tell, the picture on the left was taken about 2pm at Old Orchard Beach.
While I was in Lowell, Mass., one of the people I met was a guy who retired as a Col. from the Air Force who grew up in Saco, Maine. He suggested I make it to Old Orchard Beach, so I went to see what he was talking about.
As you enter the beach area, there's what appears to be a carnival off in the distance ( you can see the ferris wheel in the background) and a beautiful garden area with a "welcome to Old Orchard Beach" in the foreground. I headed to the beach, hoping to find a bench to sit on and enjoy the surf coming in, but there were no seats to be found. Several people had taken beach chairs to sit on, and the next time I go, I'll be sure to take my own chair.
One of the many structures you begin to see as you arrive in the New England area are lighthouses, all of varying sizes. This one sits in the campground I'm camping in. It's quite large, compared to some of the ones I've seen in yards. I saw a bird sitting on the upper level, and I'm wondering if these are actually bird houses, even though I've never seen any nests in them.
I spent the rest of my day nesting once again. I got everything back out that had been stored because of traveling. I also made a beef stew to eat when Cathy, Ted and I return from the ADL conference. I leave tomorrow for Kennebunkport and the Franciscan House to attend the Alliance of Divine Love Retreat. The "welcome" is at 4pm and dinner follows shortly thereafter.
I understand on Saturday, we'll have a lobster fest on the beach and a whale watching trip sometime during the day also. I'm so excited about finally doing something more along the lines of an "adventure". Keep your fingers crossed that I can have a whole weekend of not caring for anyone, due to health issues.
I took this picture out of my camper. It gives you a little idea of what this campground looks like. The sun is setting in the background and the two "houses" you see are people who come to stay during the season from May through October 15th, then the entire park closes down for the winter.
Tallyho!!! I'm off to enjoy a piping hot bowl of stew. As my friend, Vicky's, grandmother used to say: see you in the funny papers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment