Friday, September 2, 2011

ANGELS ON MY TEAM!!

Yesterday began at the unGodly hour of 3:47 a.m. I woke up, made a bathroom run, and came back to try to get a little more shut-eye before my alarm went off at 5 a.m. I shut my eyes and then I heard the thunder and saw the lightning flashing across my eyelids. Oh, crap!!! I guess I needed to get up since I had forgotten to pull my mirrors out for pulling my camper. I left Jenny and Larry's house at 4:20 a.m. headed for Lowell, Mass.
Here's the beautiful sunrise, after driving in a huge rainstorm for two hours. My drive time to Linda and Bob's was going to be about 10.5 hours, so I still had a ways to go at this point.
One of the things that began to happen, almost as soon as I started the trip, was a light came on in the cab of my truck which said "trailer disconnected". OMG!!! The first time it happened I looked in both side mirrors to make sure the camper was still behind me. Then I got out and tried to motorized button to see if for some reason the hitch wasn't exactly right. Of course, I realized later, that without the legs in the down position, the motorized hitch wasn't going to move at all. Well, duh!!!!!
Then I tried pushing in the cord that plugs into the back of the truck which activates the braking system for the trailer. I got back into my truck and, sure enough, that was the trick. Of course, about every 20 to 30 miles, the cord again came loose, most of this time I'm in the storm trying to get it secure enough to keep going. I looked like a drowned rat. This went on for about 300 miles, and I got out about 8 different times to reconnect the plug. I finally pulled off at a reststop to try to see if there was something else I could do. That's where I found my first angel of the day. There was a guy just getting into a truck and I hollered to him "excuse me, can you help me with something?" He got out and I explained what my dilemma was. He got on the ground so he could peer into the plug and see if I had it in there correctly, which I did. It appears that the "pin" that was supposed to hold the plug in, wasn't doing it's job, so he asked me if I had a bungee cord. As soon as I got the cord, he tied it around the head of the plug and secured it to the truck. Walla!!!!! Problem solved. No more "disconnect" notices!!!! YAHOOOOOOOO!!!
Coley, can you see the sign. Newfoundland 2 miles. I guess I zigged when I should've zagged.
Reminded me of our trip to Newfoundland with Jenny. We'll have to do that again sometime.

I got to Lowell, Mass. by 3:30 p.m. An eleven hour drive, not too bad and it was early enough in the afternoon that I didn't hit any of the afternoon traffic. My friend, Linda, met me at her mother's house. She had said her mother had a huge driveway and 4 acres of land in the backyard, but I didn't know if there were going to be big trees or what. So here's where my other angel came in. Linda is a wonderful woman, I met in Memphis several years ago by happenstance, and we instantly connected. It helped considerably that we both had red hair at the time. Anyway, that's my camper and truck in the background, and you can see, the yard was perfect for pulling into and parking. We got her all hooked up with electricity and now I'm enjoying a leisurely morning, coffee, conversation, and good friends.
Life is grand!!!! Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment